Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Four Quarters or Corners

The Four Quarters or Corners 30 Jul 13 5:07 pm America/Chicago #1

• Friday
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Rankadmin
  • Thank you received: 339
Please "Like" PaganPath on Facebook by scrolling to the bottom of any page and clicking the like button. :)
Please Login to Post a Reply

The Four Quarters or Corners 29 Jan 16 11:57 am America/Chicago #2

• Ladon
  • Expert Member
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 103
  • Study & Scholarship Award PaganPath Honor Medal
Thanks for the article Friday!
Untill recently, I used only one "arrangement" of the elements in the 4 quarters, the one you also use in the article. Because I was taught, and because most literature cites this as "the norm".
Later, I learned that there are many possible combinations (see attachment:). There is something to be said for each of them theoretically, regardless of your own geographical location. Almost any element can be rationally or emotionally associated with each quarter, and each combination of the positions of the elements relative to each other can also be defended. So I guess which element you place in which quarter all boils down to preference, tradition, and the purpose of the circle.
Last year, I attended a ritual with a different set-up and it felt remarkably different, more so than I would have expected. It fit with the ritual, it didn't disturb at all, but it created a whole different vibe in the circle.
Which order do you normally use and why? Do you have experience with other orders?
Any good references of which tradition or magical society/lodge/order uses which sequence? Is there a difference between alchemists, hermetics, wicca, asatru, druidism, masonry, ... ?
I am curious about other people's views on this :).

BB,

Ladon
elements-quarters.jpg
Thank You from these Members:: Friday

The Four Quarters or Corners 29 Jan 16 3:20 pm America/Chicago #3

• Friday
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Rankadmin
  • Thank you received: 339
Good questions! I'm eagerly anticipating more responses over the coming months and years. I too have attended rituals with different correspondences than the basics outlined here, and found these correspondences to be wonderful and powerful. I feel that it depends on your training, location and the energy of the moment (time/space). To the East of the PaganPath Sanctuary is a 40,000 acre lake, so water feels natural to the East sometimes, even though I was trained with water attributed to the West. I will use whatever correspondence feels right at the time, but usually follow this "traditional" teaching as provided in the original article. However, there are very good reasons to switch things up sometimes, and it is entirely appropriate to adapt correspondences to your needs!
Please "Like" PaganPath on Facebook by scrolling to the bottom of any page and clicking the like button. :)

The Four Quarters or Corners 29 Jan 16 3:35 pm America/Chicago #4

• Pagan Priestess
  • Contributing Member
  • Rank4
  • Pagan Priestess~
  • Thank you received: 24
  • PaganPath Honor Medal Study & Scholarship Award
I also learned that a cast circle can also be divvied up into sections representing the zodiac, starting with the quarters and further divided to delineate specific times of planetary positions...it's all very quite interesting and fresh perspectives come up with new ways all the time!
Thank You from these Members:: Friday, Ladon

The Four Quarters or Corners 15 Feb 16 5:34 pm America/Chicago #5

• Tribul
  • Banned
  • Rankbanned
  • Thank you received: 3
:pent: They're more commonly listed as:The Four Quarters or The Cross Corners!!! :pent: And,to put it point blank:they're The Four Seasonal Climate Changes!!! :pent: And,to name them they're :The Spring &Fall-Equinoxes,&The Summer&Winter-Solstices!!!

The Four Quarters or Corners 8 Mar 16 10:15 pm America/Chicago #6

• hvgeel
  • Contributing Member
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 90
I more and more feel for the quarters : spirit, fire, air and water. Earth is what we are all in, around, and above us. So I find it hard to name a dirction/quarter Earth (She is just too 'holy', for want of a better word...)
Thank You from these Members:: Ladon

The Four Quarters or Corners 12 Nov 17 5:24 pm America/Chicago #7

• Ouroboros
  • Expert Member
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 71
I like the idea of the calling in the elements and the Guardians to control them.
Using the raw elemental power as a power source, and the Guardians as the steering wheel and the accelerator.
I'm also interested in the Celtic Airts..
love and Laughter
Ouroboros

PaganPath Academy & Witchcraft Classes Open Enrollment Now

PaganPath Academy Enrollment:

Our Academy remains the most outstanding available, and also the least costly!  Join any or all of the courses in the Academy for $49 a year, and start your classes right now.  Special: You get 25% off today!  Become a Premium Member & Enroll now for only $36.75, just click here.

Join as a Free Full Member (no Academy access) here to access the forum, downloads and more great stuff.

Save when you pay dues for more years:
What areas of study interest you most?
Any Notes or Comments to Add?
Pixel