Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: carving selenite into pendulum?

carving selenite into pendulum? 24 Jul 16 2:52 am America/Chicago #1

• Ladon
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Study & Scholarship Award PaganPath Honor Medal
MM all,

any experience and tips for manipulating selenite? I have no experience in stone cutting or carving but apparently soap stone and selenite are very soft easy to work with. Since I am in need of a new pendulum and all it would need are a few new dremel bits (yes, I'm lazy ;) ) I thought I would give it a go. I like the look and feel of selenite and apart from not being completely water resistant i think it would make a nice pendulum. Properties I've read include supporting divination and removing doubt, so that's also nice for a pendulum.
Any of you use a selenite pendulum? happy with it?

BB,

Ladon
Please Login to Post a Reply

carving selenite into pendulum? 28 Jul 16 2:19 am America/Chicago #2

• Otatara
  • Thank you received: 98
In case this helps:

Due to most stone needing to be cut by diamond saw, see if you can buy a small rough piece, that is the right size to suit you.

If you don't want to change the shape of the stone itself, you may be able to do it completely by hand - use an indelible pencil to draw the design onto the soapstone,
then put on safety glasses and a respirator as dust goes EVERYWHERE, and use a small - and very sharp chisel with a blade 2mm wide. Hold it around 20 to 30 degrees to the stone for the straight lines and around ten to fifteen for curves, and gently tap it with a small hammer, working about a millimetre at a time. It will take time to do this, but it will be worth it; and if all you want is a decorated piece of soapstone this method will work, as it will on small pieces of wood that I've done in the past.

If you do want to change the shape of the stone itself, you will need to buy or borrow a jewellery saw, and learn how to operate it.

My apologies if I have misunderstood you and you already know all that. I haven't used soapstone myself - bone or greenstone - pounamu is more common to be carved in my country, and they are both very hard materials to work with, both literally and figuratively.
Thank You from these Members:: Ladon

carving selenite into pendulum? 29 Jul 16 3:42 pm America/Chicago #3

• Ladon
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 102
Thanks Otatara,

I'm a complete novice at stone carving, so thanks for all the tips! It seems to be very important for your health to keep the stone very wet and/or wear dust mask at all times to avoid inhalation of sharp dust particles. I have a selenite healing rod here that I was able to scratch with my fingernail, so I think I will be able to cut or file it with woodworking tools. Same with a soapstone chess set I tested for hardness. Not that I have more experience with that :), but at leat it eliminates the need for expensive specialized equipment. My idea is to buy as small a piece as I can, but still large enough to either cut/file/grind out a cone or a piramid shape. I 'll keep you updated on the progress. First step may be the hardest: soapstone is rather easy to come by, rough selenite in small quantities not so much :).

carving selenite into pendulum? 12 Aug 16 1:23 pm America/Chicago #4

• Ouroboros
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 54
  • PaganPath Honor Medal Study & Scholarship Award
I think water will disolve your selenite. I think you could carve it with a knife.
love and Laughter
Ouroboros

carving selenite into pendulum? 19 Sep 16 2:29 pm America/Chicago #5

• Ouroboros
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 54
  • PaganPath Honor Medal Study & Scholarship Award
How are you doing with your selenite carving? Did you have any luck with it?
love and Laughter
Ouroboros

PaganPath Academy & Witchcraft Classes Open Enrollment Now

PaganPath Academy Enrollment:

Our Academy remains the most outstanding available, and also the least costly!  Join any or all of the courses in the Academy for $49 a year, and start your classes right now. Become a Premium Member & Enroll in the Academy here or join as a Free Full Member here to access more great stuff.