Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tarot readings- opinions requested

Tarot readings- opinions requested 26 Sep 16 4:42 am America/Chicago #1

• linearosekahn16
  • Thank you received: 4
  • PaganPath Honor Medal Study & Scholarship Award
So nothing too negative please!!!

I was talking with a friend about doing tarot readings for people since I am getting the hang of it. He told me that it would be unethical. When I asked why, he said that I would just be using the skill to fleece people out of hard earned cash. At this point, I hadn't said anything about charging anyone (I still need the practice, so subjects would be helping me out). It got me to thinking though, is he right about those who charge for tarot readings?

I have heard about people who do readings for a living and most of them are reputable and fairly accurate. I think that intent of being honest or trying to swindle people would make a difference. What are the ethics around building tarot as a business?
Please Login to Post a Reply

Tarot readings- opinions requested 26 Sep 16 6:59 pm America/Chicago #2

• Otatara
  • Thank you received: 98
  • Study & Scholarship Award PaganPath Honor Medal
I think it comes down completely and utterly to your intentions. Are they honourable? If they are, go forth and read, perhaps with the rider that you are still learning, and therefore you will be charging less, or perhaps nothing at all at first. If you are intending to say whatever comes to mind so you can take people's cash, THEN I might agree with your friend, but I see no reason to believe this to be so. There is no "fleecing" going on, unless there is no reading going on. And it would be very easy to come up with a reasonable pretence, and to fool people, which may be why your friend has said such a thing. So if you have honourable intentions and are honest with your customers, whether you charge them or not, go forth and read. If you are providing a service, then I see no reason why you should not be paid for providing it. The only way to polish your skills - whether you are a tarot reader, teacher, chef, whatever, is to use them. You can know all the theory in the world, and still not know how to make things work in practice, unless you HAVE actually done that practice. And in this case, you need other people to read for, to get that practice. I hope that helps you.
Thank You from these Members:: Daella, linearosekahn16

Tarot readings- opinions requested 13 Oct 16 9:26 am America/Chicago #3

• Daella
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 44
  • PaganPath Honor Medal Study & Scholarship Award
Otatara said it better, but I support his view. In today's world, people are rewarded for their skills, time, effort, and expertise everyday. It's called "work". It doesn't seem to matter what expertise or genre our work falls into, there will always be someone who doesn't agree with the value of the reward.

Readers put many, many hours into study and practice. Months and years. It is an ongoing, continuous learning process that has no end. A good reader is ethical and their intentions are good and honorable by our peers in the field. It, most certainly, is not easy work (contrary to the belief of many).

Unfortunately, there are still shysters out there who are using methods of divination, etc., for untoward purposes such as separating good people from their money. Those are probably the horror stories that your friend may have heard to obtain the opinion that they have of your skill. Just remember that this situation is so in almost every field of "work" out there today. You can get a bad dentist, contractor, or cook too.

Good ethics. Good intentions. Continue to study and learn, always. Do the right thing, because its the right thing to do...

... And patience and understanding. Hopefully your friend will see all these things and come to understand that the horror story side to it is an exception to the norm.

As for other ethics and things like confidentiality; decide upon yours before you start. Let them grow and adapt as need be, but be serious about them. Friday has an excellent Tarot education class and reading section including an article entitled "Going to a Psychic?..." that you should read. You can also ask her about professional tarot associations of good standing where you can further read about ethics and disclaimers. (I'm not sure about listing offsite references on the forum. I'll allow Friday and the moderators to answer further about any association or recommendations.)

I hope this helps.
Thank You from these Members:: linearosekahn16

Tarot readings- opinions requested 24 Oct 16 8:04 am America/Chicago #4

• Ladon
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Study & Scholarship Award PaganPath Honor Medal
MM,

I agree with what has been said.
One of the 5 Reiki principles translates to "work/earn your living honestly" or 'work diligently".
So I see no problem in making a living with magic, be it by selling items or providing services, as long as you charge a fair price and supply a good quality service or product. In my mind, a healing practitioner or a tarot reader is a craftsman (or woman) like any other and as such should be able to charge for time and energy spent on education, training their skill and providing that skill to others. There is a reason it is called witchCRAFT.
Just because some clients may be vulnerable, that doesn't mean all tarot readers are frauds! I hope your friend knows you better than to think you would take advantage of people.

BB,

Ladon
Thank You from these Members:: linearosekahn16

Tarot readings- opinions requested 24 Oct 16 6:38 pm America/Chicago #5

• Tsaa
  • New to Forum
I agree with you in the fact that it's okay to earn a living with magick. The irritation is that there are so many frauds out there that people have become sceptical

PaganPath Academy & Witchcraft Classes Open Enrollment Now

PaganPath Academy Enrollment:

Our Academy remains the most outstanding available, and also the least costly!  Join any or all of the courses in the Academy for $49 a year, and start your classes right now. Become a Premium Member & Enroll in the Academy here or join as a Free Full Member here to access more great stuff.