Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Wand...

The Wand... 19 Jul 17 11:28 am America/Chicago #1

• Dani
  • Rank2
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Study & Scholarship Award
Hello! I am currently in the process of making my own wand. No clue what type of tree is in my yard.
Thought I would share it with you. I read somewhere that a good wand length is the length of your lower arm + hand. So far I have sanded it & anointed it with Coconut Oil. May do some wood-burning...
Was going to carve a notch to mark where the hand goes but got a strong impression this wand didn't want it.
Attachments:
Please Login to Post a Reply
Thank You from these Members:: Friday

The Wand... 4 Sep 17 4:14 pm America/Chicago #2

• Ladon
  • Expert Member
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 103
  • Study & Scholarship Award PaganPath Honor Medal
Merry meet,

Nice! Thanks for sharing. If you own a smartphone, there should be apps that recognise the tree for you by taking a picture. Or you could try to determine yourself what kind of tree it is using the leaves, bark, seeds/fruit, flower in spring, buds, shape,... the origin of your staff influences its properties and you will probably use it a lot and for a long time. Also: it's in your backyard, aren't you curious ☺? In my tradition it is customary to use willow. We also use the length from our elbow to the tip of the middle finger.

The Wand... 5 Sep 17 9:29 am America/Chicago #3

• Friday
  • Administrator
  • Rankadmin
  • Thank you received: 335
It looks great! If you take a picture of the tree, one of a branch so I can see how the leaves cluster, a closer picture of the leaves, one of the bark and one of any fruit or flowers then it is very likely I can identify it for you and will share any folklore and magical information I have about it if you like. Also, I make "Wand Wax" and will offer it in the shop if you are interested, or if not I can share a few recipe ideas: You already have coconut oil, and if you warm it up and add about 20% beeswax you'll get a nice wood conditioner with a little more staying power to help prevent cracks on new wood. Less wax=more creamy, more wax=firmer finish. I also use carnuba for some altar tools to help me buff them to a high sheen after I've conditioned them for a turn of the wheel of the year. When I make it, I add the traditional "altar" blessing oils (sandalwood essential oil, rose absolute, cinnamon essential oil, frankincense & myrrh resinnoids, etc.) At first I'll anoint new tools every month until deeply conditioned, and after a wheel I'll go for anointing at the Sabbats, until finally the third year it is just once or twice.
Please "Like" PaganPath on Facebook by scrolling to the bottom of any page and clicking the like button. :)

The Wand... 27 Sep 17 12:08 pm America/Chicago #4

• Ouroboros
  • Expert Member
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 58
  • PaganPath Honor Medal Study & Scholarship Award
Well done! I love making wands, but you know what! I never use one. Recently I made a double ended wand of power. It is half white and half Black. It was suggested that I needed one to perform the The Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram. However I'm not much of a ceremonial witch so guess what,, haven't used it yet. The wand has taken its place with several Holly, Hazel, Oak and Rowan wands.
love and Laughter
Ouroboros

The Wand... 13 Nov 17 6:08 pm America/Chicago #5

• Ouroboros
  • Expert Member
  • Rank6
On Saturday, My Hubby and I were invited to a huge bonfire out in the country. Just a friends house, not a wiccan gathering or anything like that. I had planned to do a Spell that evening and I do love to use fire as the element for power. The Spell was to recover an inheritance for my Son. This was the third and final working of the spell. I added all the spell ingredients into an envelope. When the fire had burned down enough to get close to, I threw in the envelope. A huge log in the fire transformed into the head of a wolf, with red glowing eyes, tongue and ears. I looked down at my feet and before me was a long straight stick, the stick had thorns on it. I found out later that it was a rose branch. A gift of a Wand, I call it the Wand of Retribution. I am hoping that when the wood dries out, I will be able to keep the thorns on. If not I will save them for protection magick.
love and Laughter
Ouroboros

The Wand... 23 Nov 17 4:44 pm America/Chicago #6

• Ouroboros
  • Expert Member
  • Rank6
The Rose wand is drying out and some of the bark at the leaf nodes is starting to peel. I'm going to let it dry a month more and then lightly sand the stem. The branch is not quite as straight as it was when I found it, but still pretty good. I still have not found out what the magickal properties of Rose is. I will post when I find out.
love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Friday

PaganPath Academy & Witchcraft Classes Open Enrollment Now

PaganPath Academy Enrollment:

Our Academy remains the most outstanding available, and also the least costly!  Join any or all of the courses in the Academy for $49 a year, and start your classes right now.  Special: You get 25% off today!  Become a Premium Member & Enroll now for only $36.75, just click here.

Join as a Free Full Member (no Academy access) here to access the forum, downloads and more great stuff.

Save when you pay dues for more years:
What areas of study interest you most?
Any Notes or Comments to Add?
Pixel