Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pagans in the Bible Belt

Pagans in the Bible Belt 27 Sep 17 10:32 am America/Chicago #1

• Luna Rosepearl
  • Rank2
  • Thank you received: 1
I originally was born and raised in Southern California and have since ended up in Northwest Arkansas. I know there have to be some other Pagans in the Bible Belt... Where are y'all and how do you deal with living where there is a church on every corner?
Please Login to Post a Reply

Pagans in the Bible Belt 27 Sep 17 10:49 am America/Chicago #2

• Friday
  • Administrator
  • Rankadmin
  • Thank you received: 335
Merry meet Luna! Thank the Goddess you are around as we too moved to Arkansas (near Mount Ida) and it is a struggle here. Every radio station is Christian or Country, every public meeting begins with prayer, every gathering is held in a church, every shop clerk will pray for you or hope you have a blessed day, even our librarian was overheard saying, "all you need is the Bible and the dictionary" (and she wasn't joking).

So I share your frustration. There are 27 churches in Mount Ida with a population of 900 people, and our county has one of the highest child hunger rates in the nation. So frustrating.

We started a local group but people from Hot Springs would cancel at the last minute and we would end up spending a lot of time and money and travel to set up classes, food and meetings and have no one show. Some of the people in that group started a new one just in H.S. and it seems to be working better for them. But that still leaves all us out in the boonies in a very solitary situation.

Checking Witchvox for local listings helps, but many do not respond to their obsolete listings. You are welcome to join us and our group if you aren't too far away for easy travel. We only get together about twice a year, but we would love to gather more often.

Little Rock has a very active meetup group with some cool people, and Conway is wonderful with a great campus organization called LUX. There are Norse Pagans lurking all over in the hills, and quite a few in the NW Arkansas area.

PaganPath actually financially supports ARPagans.com. I do the publishing and software, hosting and security. Ashley (our editor) does the lion's share of the writing, proofing and content, networking and is our Facebook admin. If you have an article, a note, or a call to create your own group in Arkansas, we can help you get the word out.

Sometimes it is just nice to be around other people to be able to open up and talk. The throat chakra really gets blocked around these parts, and if you want a job you don't wear a pentacle. So just talking to you has helped me a bit!
Please "Like" PaganPath on Facebook by scrolling to the bottom of any page and clicking the like button. :)

Pagans in the Bible Belt 27 Sep 17 12:09 pm America/Chicago #3

• Luna Rosepearl
  • Rank2
Friday!!!
It sounds like you have more going on down in the Hot Springs area than I do up here in the Van Buren/Fort Smith area. If I had a vehicle that got over 11 mpg, I would come visit you! I was on ARPagans this morning, but most of the posts there are old. The newest post I saw about anything was from January this year. It doesn't look like its used much. I was on my phone looking at the site though, so I may have missed out on some info. I will peruse it on my computer later today. I may request a shout out to pagans up here in my area.

I hear you when you talk about everything beginning and ending with a prayer. I am the president of the VFW Auxiliary here and a supporting member of a few veterans groups and EVERYTHING begins with a prayer. I just go along with it because I believe that if that makes them happy, that's fine with me. I am usually biting my lip through it though. You know, when you are sworn in as a member of the Auxiliary, you have to swear that you believe in God. Luckily it doesn't specify what God... lol

So do you do a lot of crystal hunting there in Mount Ida? I went to Jessieville and dug up some crystals, but all in all it was a pretty underwhelming experience. I know that Mount Ida has better places to mine. I'm sure I will end up down there one of these days. I will make sure to contact you and see if we can meet up when I do get down that way.

Thanks for responding to my post! I'm sure there are quite a few Pagans here in AR. Its just that its such a secretive subject in these parts that each of us is the only one around. Please feel free to contact me anytime you want/need to chat. I'm always happy to help another of my "kind." :-D
Thank You from these Members:: Friday

Pagans in the Bible Belt 27 Sep 17 2:30 pm America/Chicago #4

• Friday
  • Administrator
  • Rankadmin
  • Thank you received: 335
Most of the posts are older, but that is much my fault as the editor has a tough time with the software to add new articles. Today I am converting all of ARPagans.com to a new format that our editor, Ashley, can use easily so you will see more info on that site very soon. Meanwhile, she posts frequently on the facebook page: www.facebook.com/ARPagans/

We do a lot of crystal hunting, both at the PaganPath sanctuary and nearby. We got special permission from one of our friends who owns a mine to go digging on the full moon with our group, and I think everyone had a great time. If you do come to the area, we would love to "hunt" with you!

I would very much like to stay in touch and welcome ALL members to text message me at 870-279-2724 or PM me here on PaganPath or friend me on facebook: www.facebook.com/fridaywyrd It is very good to talk to like minded people :)
Please "Like" PaganPath on Facebook by scrolling to the bottom of any page and clicking the like button. :)

Pagans in the Bible Belt 27 Sep 17 2:43 pm America/Chicago #5

• Luna Rosepearl
  • Rank2
I will absolutely friend you on FB & add you as a contact on my phone. Look for a text from Holly. I will get on the ARpagans FB page as well. Thank you for the info. Have a fantabulous day!

Pagans in the Bible Belt 27 Sep 17 4:07 pm America/Chicago #6

• zanna
  • Rankmod
  • Eclectic Pagan, Hedgewitch
  • Thank you received: 65
  • Study & Scholarship Award PaganPath Honor Medal
Welcome Luna! I can relate to your plight as I was born in San Francisco (though many many moons ago and it's a much different place now), I spent 18 years in provincial New England, my mom lives in southwest Missouri, and I now reside in the great state of Texas. I think you hit it right on when you said "I believe that if that makes them happy, that's fine with me". What others believe and how they pray is their business as how I do is mine. Honestly, I would rather be with a group praying (to any god) than with some of the aimless wanderers who only wish to latch on to the latest "lifestyle trend"and bash those who aren't in the clique.

Most would probably consider me a conservative redneck at first glance (I belong to the local ladies shooting league and I do like country music ;) ), but what I believe and how I practice is my own. I've chosen to remain solitary as the local groups I've come across are quite as intolerable (and as intolerant) as the "conservative rednecks" they constantly bash which is why I love being part of this group and have other online pagan friends.

Even amidst the Christian communities I've lived in, I openly wear a pentacle. I have had some ask about it and my tattoos. I am happy to explain. When they see someone who has different beliefs from their own, but who has similar interests and who respects their beliefs, I have found that they in turn respect mine as well.
If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.
Thank You from these Members:: Friday

PaganPath Academy & Witchcraft Classes Open Enrollment Now

PaganPath Academy Enrollment:

Our Academy remains the most outstanding available, and also the least costly!  Join any or all of the courses in the Academy for $49 a year, and start your classes right now.  Special: You get 25% off today!  Become a Premium Member & Enroll now for only $36.75, just click here.

Join as a Free Full Member (no Academy access) here to access the forum, downloads and more great stuff.

Save when you pay dues for more years:
What areas of study interest you most?
Any Notes or Comments to Add?
Pixel