This is a very simple recipe and an extraordinarily wonderful incense that we've carried in the PaganPath Shop for years. You can make it yourself by following this recipe. The fragrance is woodsy, watery and sweet; providing an atmosphere of high spiritual vibrations for sacred rituals, meditation, Sabbats and especially Esbats. It is a perfect altar incense and excellent for all ritual celebrations and magickal work!
Throughout many pages on the site, you might notice this incense is used in many rituals and is a common spell component. It is an incense of increase that is surprisingly easy to make.
While you are creating this magickal blend, use all of your focus, energy and will while staying true to your overall intent. You may find as I have, that this is one of the best powdered incenses you've ever made! It is used over charcoals (the one's specifically made for incense that come in rolls) or over a ritual fire.
Please Note: When you click on a picture in this article, it will enlarge and begin a slide show with more information. When you use this moon incense over a ritual fire (A), flames will leap up along the dust trail of the incense powder! There will be sparkling (tiny, glittery sparks) of incense outside of this trail of flames as well! This is an impressive effect, but dangerous if you are not practiced at fire safety!
Start out small and toss about a half teaspoon of incense over the cooler areas of the glowing coals (look for gray coals near orange ones B) in a fire. This providess you the best fragrance release. For more of a sparkly show, sprinkle over flames (A) carefully! Toss the entire spoonful all at once, don't trail the dust or sprinkle it. until you see how it reacts. Stand away from the fire, and upwind. Use in areas that do not require burn permits, and as always, have something to douse the fire nearby. Do not use if you are wearing gauzy or loose ritual robes and costumes. Be very careful! You are responsible for your actions, as always.
. . . and finally, after all that! the recipe!! "yeah!"
Within the three days prior to the actual full moon (but not after), gather the ingredients required, along with a pestle and mortar to blend them. If desired, you can use your cauldron, and some sort of crushing or mixing tool such as a dowel or stick.
- 2 ounces (about 56 grams) of the finest sandalwood powder you can find (santalum album). We use Mysore Sandalwood power for this incense when it is offered in the PaganPath Shop.
- 4 to 5 grams (a marble sized nugget) of amber resin, not the "stone" or fossilized tree resin! You will need the soft, sweet smelling resin that is often imported from India, available at health food stores, ebay and of course herb and Witch shops.
- 3 drops of Vanilla Extract. Use only real vanilla extract because we are working with the energies of the vanilla orchid plant. It is available at almost any grocery store.
Directions & Ritual of Creation:
- Begin your work under the full moon; preferably outside, under the actual full moon, or indoors near a window where the moon is visible. Fill the mortar or cauldron with the sandalwood powder, and crush the amber into it with the pestle or tool of your choice. Use deosil blending motions. Focus on the energy of the full moon, or if you are making the incense for a specific spell, focus on the of that spell alone. You can incorporate your favorite words of power or chant while doing this.
- When the powder is smooth and consistent, add the vanilla one drop at a time while saying your chosen words of power (which is best) or the following (which will suffice in most cases): Drop of moon, grant my boon.
- Blend in the drops in the same way you blended in the amber resin, crushing and mixing while using deosil motions. Place the mixture in a clear glass jar with an airtight lid. Keep it away from heat, sunlight, and moisture. Charge it under the light of the full moon on the three days prior to it becoming actually full. The full moon light penetration is the reason for not storing this in an opaque jar. It is ready for use immediately since you have created it on the waxing to full moon, but can be charged more if desired every three days prior to each full moon Esbat.
References & Resources:
- See the PaganPath Almanac to find the full moon times for each month this year.
- More versions of this recipe, plus additional incense recipes are available in the Members Area Academy, online Herbalism course.
- Full Moon Charts and Information for Your time zone can be found in the Rites, Rituals & Magick area of the site.