Keeping yourself centered and focused can be difficult when you are under a lot of stress. If you are tired or feel psychically vamped or drained, or if you just need to keep you mind elsewhere, you may discover that your usual routine for protection simply isn't working. You will discover here some ideas to help you create a charm to carry you through these busy days.
The Usual Protection, Grounding & Centering
Often just taking slow, deep breaths while doing a quick grounding and centering visualization helps. Allow energy to extend from your root chakra down into the earth. Visualize the energy flowing back up through the earth and through the major chakras, out of your crown chakra, around your aura and back into the earth. You might end this visualization with a simple chant like one I adapted from Scott Cunningham such as "Shield of the Goddess on my arm, protect me from all harm."
Protection, Warding & Shield Charms
The routine above works for many situations, but when you are subjected to constant stress, your shield may falter. You may not have the time to reinforce your shielding and protection visualization at the time you need it the most. Certainly your co-workers will frown on you lighting a candle and casting a spell in the conference room or back store room!
A standard protection working like the one above may lack the oomph you need when stress kicks in. In these circumstances, your go-to could be an enchanted object.
The Basic Concept
- Start this magical spell working when your energy is high and you have some extra time. You will be charging an object with shielding and protection energy while you are strong and energetic so you can tap into that power later when you are less well rested and overly stressed.
- Select an object you wish to enchant. This amulet or talisman could be a pendant, pocket rock, ring or bracelet. If you wear outfits with pockets, then you might find that pouches with multiple rocks (mojo bag style) or pocket rocks work quite well.
- Begin with a The Usual Protection, Grounding & Centering technique above, and then focus your energy into your chosen object.
- When you charge your talisman, it may help to come up with a chant or words of power. For example, sending your power into the item while saying: "protego" or an affirmation such as "I am light and filled with energy."
- When you need to access the energy, hold your charm or focus on it and repeat the words you've chosen.
- You will want to reinforce your charm about once a month by repeating the charge when your energy is high.
There is a world of items you can choose from to create your protection charm. An old episode of Bewitched illusstrated how a simple lamp finial could change Darin Steven's day! In real life, there are a thousand items you can use; from your mother's locket to the lug bolt from a scrapped car.
Some items hold a charge much better of course, and some items are predisposed to working well for protection and shielding. For example, plastic holds a magical charge surprisingly well, but it does not project energy well. A large obsidian sphere might work perfectly for protecting your home, but is not practical to carry with you throughout your day.
Crystals, stones and minerals are extremely versatile and can be fine tuned through combinations.
When you need a bit of creativity to get through sticky situations you might try Lapis Lazuli, Turquoise, Rose Quartz and Aventurine.
When going to a magic or Pagan gathering, I sometimes like to have a bit more protection from excess unfocused magical energy that abounds at these events. For this you might try a piece of jewelry like the Amber and Jet anklet at the top of this page, or a pouch with Amber, Jet, a Pentacle, Aventurine, Carnelian and Smokey Quartz.
When you just want to hide out and relax but have many things to do, try using just Black Tourmaline alone, or pair it with some extra energy and social strength by adding Carnelian, Citrine and Orange Aventurine.
Increase your energy and focus by using your protection charm regularly when you need it. Again, you can use any simple piece of jewelry, or even your belt, purse, wallet, garter or a hair accessory. When you have the time and your energy is high, charge the object with the shielding, protection or warding. You can also add a charge for extra energy if you desire.
If you are using stones and crystals, they may pick up a lot of surrounding energies. You can prevent this by making sure they are fully charged and by using stones that do not absorb as much, such as Tourmaline and Tourmalated Quartz. If your stones seem sluggish or dull in energy, rinse them in cold running water and allow them to sit in some sunlight for an hour or two. Keep their protection charge high to prevent the need for frequent cleansing.
Note that you can click on any image in this article to enlarge it. Click to the right or left side of the larger picture to scroll through a slide show.