× If the article being discussed here is from the Premium Members Area (such as the Academy), you will not be able to see the article's link unless you are a Premium Member and are logged in.

The Four Quarters or Corners

30 Jul 2013 17:07 #1 by Friday
Friday created the topic: The Four Quarters or Corners

You are invited to add me as a friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com/fridaywyrd
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Friday
  • Friday's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • PaganPath Instructor
More
29 Jan 2016 11:57 #2 by Ladon
Ladon replied the topic: The Four Quarters or Corners
Thanks for the article Friday!
Untill recently, I used only one "arrangement" of the elements in the 4 quarters, the one you also use in the article. Because I was taught, and because most literature cites this as "the norm".
Later, I learned that there are many possible combinations (see attachment:). There is something to be said for each of them theoretically, regardless of your own geographical location. Almost any element can be rationally or emotionally associated with each quarter, and each combination of the positions of the elements relative to each other can also be defended. So I guess which element you place in which quarter all boils down to preference, tradition, and the purpose of the circle.
Last year, I attended a ritual with a different set-up and it felt remarkably different, more so than I would have expected. It fit with the ritual, it didn't disturb at all, but it created a whole different vibe in the circle.
Which order do you normally use and why? Do you have experience with other orders?
Any good references of which tradition or magical society/lodge/order uses which sequence? Is there a difference between alchemists, hermetics, wicca, asatru, druidism, masonry, ... ?
I am curious about other people's views on this :).

BB,

Ladon
Attachments:
Thank You from these Members:: Friday, Tricksterisme

More
29 Jan 2016 15:20 #3 by Friday
Friday replied the topic: The Four Quarters or Corners
Good questions! I'm eagerly anticipating more responses over the coming months and years. I too have attended rituals with different correspondences than the basics outlined here, and found these correspondences to be wonderful and powerful. I feel that it depends on your training, location and the energy of the moment (time/space). To the East of the PaganPath Sanctuary is a 40,000 acre lake, so water feels natural to the East sometimes, even though I was trained with water attributed to the West. I will use whatever correspondence feels right at the time, but usually follow this "traditional" teaching as provided in the original article. However, there are very good reasons to switch things up sometimes, and it is entirely appropriate to adapt correspondences to your needs!

You are invited to add me as a friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com/fridaywyrd

• Friday
  • Friday's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • PaganPath Instructor
More
29 Jan 2016 15:35 #4 by Pagan Priestess
Pagan Priestess replied the topic: The Four Quarters or Corners
I also learned that a cast circle can also be divvied up into sections representing the zodiac, starting with the quarters and further divided to delineate specific times of planetary positions...it's all very quite interesting and fresh perspectives come up with new ways all the time!
Thank You from these Members:: Friday, Ladon, Tricksterisme

• Pagan Priestess
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Pagan Priestess~
More
15 Feb 2016 17:34 #5 by Tribul
Tribul replied the topic: The Four Quarters or Corners
:pent: They're more commonly listed as:The Four Quarters or The Cross Corners!!! :pent: And,to put it point blank:they're The Four Seasonal Climate Changes!!! :pent: And,to name them they're :The Spring &Fall-Equinoxes,&The Summer&Winter-Solstices!!!

More
08 Mar 2016 22:15 - 08 Mar 2016 22:24 #6 by hvgeel
hvgeel replied the topic: The Four Quarters or Corners
I more and more feel for the quarters : spirit, fire, air and water. Earth is what we are all in, around, and above us. So I find it hard to name a dirction/quarter Earth (She is just too 'holy', for want of a better word...)
Thank You from these Members:: Ladon, Tricksterisme

More
12 Nov 2017 17:24 #7 by Ouroboros
Ouroboros replied the topic: The Four Quarters or Corners
I like the idea of the calling in the elements and the Guardians to control them.
Using the raw elemental power as a power source, and the Guardians as the steering wheel and the accelerator.
I'm also interested in the Celtic Airts..

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More

Discover More on Your Path

Two membership choices to bring you more great stuff!

• Enroll in Academy
  • $ 49 On Sale: $ 36.75 / A Year &amp a day
  • All Free Member Bonuses
  • Full Access to ALL Courses in Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Tarot, Herbs & more.
  • 10% Off all Shop orders
  • Exclusive Books & Downloads
  • Reverts to Free Membership after 366 days
  • Enroll Now
  • Free Membership
  • FREE
  • Post Messages on the Forum
  • Unlimited Private Messages
  • Free Downloads & Almanacs
  • Extra Articles & Features
  • Never Expires
  • Join Free