New to Pagan Path

06 Mar 2018 13:10 #1 by Meroe
New to Pagan Path was created by Meroe
I am new to Pagan Path and just wanted to say Hello. I Have been a pagan/witch officially for two years now, but it seems I have been one most of my life. I was just doing what I always did, using my herbs to heal and somebody recommended a couple of books to me. I bought and read them and began my journey. I read and study a lot, but am always looking for more. My practice has evolved into one much simpler than when I first began. I look forward to all that this site and the members have to offer. Thanks for reading!~Meroe
Thank You from these Members:: Volute_, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Meroe
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2018 13:16 #2 by Volute_
Replied by Volute_ on topic New to Pagan Path
Welcome, Meroe! I'm excited to hear about your journey. My practice has also become more simple than when I began, but also more complex if that makes any sense. Fewer tools and trappings, more focus and visualization.

You are invited to add me as a friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Friggawyrd
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme, Meroe, KatMarie

• Volute_
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • PaganPath Instructor
More
06 Mar 2018 18:30 #3 by Meroe
Replied by Meroe on topic New to Pagan Path
I absolutely understand what you are saying. I am trying to take my practice as far back or as close to its roots as I can. Part of that has been trying to discover my ancestry and understanding the, (and my), origins. Simplifying my practice feels so natural.
Thank You from these Members:: Volute_, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

• Meroe
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2018 19:30 #4 by zanna
Replied by zanna on topic New to Pagan Path
Welcome Meroe! It's funny how we seem to start off making things more complicated than they need to be, only to learn the simplicity behind it all. It's been similar on my path. So many years later I have learned (adapted, chose) to keep things simple, yet the feelings seem deeper and more meaningful.

If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.
Thank You from these Members:: Volute_, Tricksterisme

• zanna
  • Eclectic Pagan, Hedgewitch
More
06 Mar 2018 19:36 #5 by Ouroboros
Replied by Ouroboros on topic New to Pagan Path
Greetings and welcome Meroe,
You say you have been trying to discover your ancestry and your origins. Are you researching your family tree or doing a Geno Test?
I was adopted, so following a family tree was out of the question for me, so I did a Geno Test with National Geographic. I found that I was mostly Scandinavian and hardly Scottish at all. So I am learning more about my Norse roots and the Viking culture. Runes are my present challenge. Of course, in my heart I'm always Scottish.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More
06 Mar 2018 21:06 #6 by Meroe
Nice to meet you Ouroboros,
My two sisters and I are tracing the family tree. We have discovered Irish, Scottish and Norse. I suspect that if we could trace back far enough there would be Russian also. (I base this on known migratory patterns of early man). We are a true mish-mash, as this line is my paternal grandfathers. My paternal grandmother was born Amish (but married out of the faith) so there is that line and we haven't started on my maternal side, although we know there is some Swiss in there. Regarding the Amish portion, I do not have contact with any existing relatives there so I research what I can online. Most of that though has been on Amish pow-wow and hex signs. I am trying to learn the hex symbolism. I see no problem incorporating hex symbols into my practice. First it honors my grandmother, a very important person in my early childhood, and secondly, the symbols are obviously of pagan origins, adapted to the christian religion. So for me, it is a natural thing to do. Others may feel differently and I respect that. I have not tackled Runes yet, but hubby has two sets that he uses. He is Celtic, of Irish lineage (his father was 100% Irish). It is nice to meet someone else of Norse and Viking descent and I hope to talk with you more. Have a good evening, or day, depending.
Blessings,
Meroe

• Meroe
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2018 13:30 #7 by Ouroboros
I'm interested to know where the Amish came from originally. I am presuming Europe. I think a lot of people with European roots will have Viking in them. Those Vikings sure got around. I didn't realize that William the Conqueror was actually of Viking descent until I watched the TV show "Vikings" I thought he was French.
Sorry I don't know anything about pow-wow and hex signs except the Pennsylvania Dutch use them, you might try looking them up.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Volute_, Tricksterisme, Meroe

More
12 Mar 2018 11:24 #8 by Meroe
Oh crud! I just wrote you a rather long reply and lost it. Amish come from Switzerland. Hex symbols seem to be all geared for the positive in all aspects of life. (I am so disappointed that I lost that reply!). I'll never remember everything I wrote, so I will just ask if you can recommend any reading on the Vikings. This is an area I have only just begun to explore and any advice would be greatly appreciated. (And my daughter told me to start watching the Vikings series!). Thank you in advance!
Blessings,
Meroe
Thank You from these Members:: Volute_

• Meroe
  • Topic Author
More
12 Mar 2018 12:15 #9 by Ouroboros
Well, don't you just hate it when that happens, it happens to me too. Most of what i know about Vikings is from the television series. I think you will enjoy it. I also have a pintrest Board that is about Vikings. Coming from Britain, we learn about them in school because we were invaded by them. Sorry I don't have any book recommendations.
That is interesting that the Amish came from Switzerland, I didn't know that.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More
12 Mar 2018 23:12 #10 by Otatara
Replied by Otatara on topic New to Pagan Path
G'day and welcome :)

More
13 Mar 2018 08:06 #11 by Meroe
Ouroboros,
My biggest problem (?) is that as I study one thing, it leads to 50 new questions and I often feel like I lose direction on my original question. It is a problem of discipline I know, I get so darned excited about everything and I end up with stacks of papers and feel overwhelmed. Reading on prechristian Ireland led me to dragon lore (and it was actually amazing to see photos of sacred items/symbols excavated by archeologists from our bronze and iron age ancestors. Seeing those photos made the symbols so much more real to me, does that make any sense at all?), Pliny the Elder...well that book has more post-it notes in it than I can count. I'm trying to settle down, to teach myself to set things aside and retain my focus. For me, I have to trace things back to their origins, make the connections. I have always been that way. This trait is actually helpful in my ultimate goal of evolving my practice in the way I want to. Anyway, I do appreciate you reading and responding to my posts. Hubby studies Celt and only Celt, but I need to see the connectedness and evolution of all our different beliefs so he doesn't quite understand what it is I'm doing. He is supportive, of course, and lets me muddle my way through our shared history. Any thoughts and suggestions you have to share are greatly appreciated.
Blessings,
Meroe

• Meroe
  • Topic Author
More
15 Mar 2018 19:16 #12 by Ouroboros
Well, I certainly understand the stacks of paper syndrome. I have three binders full of paper and I have a few stacks of paper waiting for a home. I have been going through it and writing pertinent information into my Book of Shadows. I think maybe you are afraid you will miss some important piece of knowledge so you are collecting it all. Most info that you copy, you will never use. Read it and discard it. If you really want it again you can look it up on the internet.
Ask yourself, is this important to my path?

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Volute_, Meroe

More
16 Mar 2018 23:18 #13 by Meroe
Oh yes, much of the first stuff I collected will be discarded. Information on herbs, trees, roots ect. that I can grow myself, harvest sustainably, or purchase locally will be kept. Additionally, I have quite a few books on traditional uses for native to my area species. I do a lot of cross-referencing between my books and online. It is unfortunate, but I have found that some sites do not give side effect information and even some books leave that out too (exceptions being pregnant women and one or two others, but nothing like it should be)! For instance, with the winter flu we had here in the U.S., it seemed everyone was promoting elderberry. While elderberry is an exceptional herbal, not everyone can take it as I just recently found out (my hubby cannot). And only 1 site, ONE, reported that information. I am so glad I did not make him a tonic or tea. I could have aggravated an existing medical condition he has. A lot of my work is in referencing and cross-referencing. But you are absolutely right, there is a ton of stuff I will never use or need and that needs to go. As for the other studies I do, I need to get that organized and tackle one thing at a time. I think I will set up a filing system for that and when I am satisfied that I have exhausted all of the research available to me, I will condense it into a manageable and concise history. Oddly, I gather all of this information for myself only. I have this need to know. I thank you for your time and responses.
Blessings,
Meroe

• Meroe
  • Topic Author
More
Moderators Frigga, : Bane DragonRabblerouzerOtatarazanna

Discover More on Your Path

Two membership choices to bring you more great stuff!

• Enroll in Academy
  • $ 49 On Sale: $ 36.75 / A Year &amp a day
  • All Free Member Bonuses
  • Full Access to ALL Courses in Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Tarot, Herbs & more.
  • 10% Off all Shop orders
  • Exclusive Books & Downloads
  • Reverts to Free Membership after 366 days
  • Enroll Now
  • Free Membership
  • FREE
  • Post Messages on the Forum
  • Unlimited Private Messages
  • Free Downloads & Almanacs
  • Extra Articles & Features
  • Never Expires
  • Join Free