How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?

25 Jun 2014 07:19 - 25 Jun 2014 07:40 #1 by Bruce A. Grayson
How did you get your Craft or Pagan name? was created by Bruce A. Grayson
Share about how you decided on your nick name or Craft name:

I had a really hard time finding my name. I like my birth name and had been using it as my craft name since 1986 and of course as my real name for longer :)

Searching baby name books, medieval names, names from nature and botany... nothing struck me. In 1995 a friend who had just started an internet service provider business helped me get online and told me I'd need a username or login name and I opened the dictionary to find something different - gender neutral - and reflective of my beliefs.

I found the name "Volute" which is a type of spiral form. Like the spiral dance, DNA, fractals, the Fibonacci ratio, forms in nature, Wyrd and a lot of other things, it represented my path in a way.

In 2012 I had come through some unthinkable personal challenges and went through a re-creation of myself - like a rebirth. I kept my mind open to names but tried not to focus or grab at anything - just let it come to me.

I was born under the full moon on a Frigga and I've always had many odd jobs, being everyone's "girl Frigga" and even though it isn't as gender neutral, it fit me perfectly. There was no transition feelings, I responded to the name instantly as if I'd been born with it.

Though expensive, I am trying to take Frigga as my legal name it fits so well. I feel very attuned to the origins of the name, and it reflects the attitude of relief and endings/beginnings felt at the time it came to me.

Please share your story!
:tri:
Thank You from these Members:: Daella, cj, Samara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bruce A. Grayson
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Interim Administrator
More
26 Jun 2014 02:57 #2 by tammy
Replied by tammy on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
Tammy@rue710
I chose mine due to the fact that I as well went through some drastic changes in my life, and subsequently so did my body! After all "that" I got into studying Healing Herbs and spell protection herbs. I came across "rue" and it seemed fitting, as well as how my "temperment" was. My old address # was 710 where it all began. " Don't piss with MAMA!
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Daella, cj

More
29 Jun 2014 12:15 #3 by Freya Coastonian
Replied by Freya Coastonian on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
I love reading both of your stories! Craft names are always interesting.

I didn't initially want a craft name, I have an unusual mundane name that tells my story quite well and I like it. But one day, not quite a year after starting down this path, I was meditating on my bluff above the raging Pacific Ocean - as I did every day on my lunch break. I was thinking I should take a craft name, and the word Freya came into my head. I swear to you I had never heard of Freya before. As I said I was new to the path and had not studied any of the Norse deity yet. When I got back to my office I Googled "Freya" and found all this information. As I sat and read everything I could find that afternoon I had tears in my eyes. I had this unbelievable sense of being home.

The next day, back at my bluff, I took the name Freya Coastonian (Coastonian is an accidental bastardization of the Costanoan Native American's who used to live in my area of the coast). As I stood there on the bluff, the wind howling through my hair, I heard a voice loud and strong "You are mine." I knew that to mean
that I now walk in the energy of this powerful Goddess (which is a bit of a complex thing for me as I don't really believe in individual and sentient deity, but that's a story for another day).

So my magickal name is Freya Coastonian: a blend of a Norse Goddess who teaches me about my spirit, the coast that has my soul firmly trapped within, and the Native American land that represents my Native American heritage.

Live in Love
Freya
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Daella, Valkyrie

• Freya Coastonian
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
More
01 Jul 2014 07:52 #4 by Bruce A. Grayson
Replied by Bruce A. Grayson on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
Very cool you two :)
Thank You from these Members:: cj

• Bruce A. Grayson
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Interim Administrator
More
01 Jul 2014 14:33 #5 by Daella
Replied by Daella on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
My name is an alteration of the name of one of my ancestors. My family has a "thick" (can't bring myself to call it rich) history of mountain folk. They seem to just sprout from the roots of trees up in the Blue Ridge area near me here. Try as we may, we can't seem to trace them beyond that area. Family tradition speaks of Scotch-Irish and Indian combinations, and a few other old hounds that came to join them on their porches.

One of these people was called "Ella". The older people in my family were full of poking fun stories of her. In their terms, she was "different" but knew that mountain like no one else. She had habits that they always remembered. Things such as, she would never kill the slugs and snails in her garden. Instead, she would pull them off and move them to somewhere behind the cabin. She was well known for collecting herbs, roots, rocks, sticks, snake sheds, etc. She was always talking to her flowers and garden. She was often the one they asked for healing recipes and such. She carved happy home symbols on everyone's mantle and had a little ditty that she would teach the women to say to "keep the walls happy". She taught my grandfather to douse and garden... Tons of stories about her and a few others up on that old mountain.

The name "Daella" is more than an inward form of identification. It serves me as a banner of sorts to the people that I honor. I am never alone in the path that I walk and I am proud.
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, cj, Sporehead

More
02 Jul 2014 06:22 #6 by moondancing crow
Replied by moondancing crow on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
how i came to my name is very simple
i was always doing rituals at moonlight in a forest inhabited by crows and since my rituals usualy involve dancing also i thought it would be an nice name especially because i always had an bond with crows in general

may many blessings come upon your path

blessed be !
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, cj, Samara, Valkyrie

• moondancing crow
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • male pagan witch
More
04 Jul 2014 06:28 #7 by Otatara
Replied by Otatara on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
My craft name comes from a hill in the Hawke's Bay area, on the east coast of the North Island.
Many years ago, when I first got in contact with Frigga, I would go to that hill on the outskirts of Napier, often in the middle of the night;
which was rather unwise, due to there being no light and a lot of rabbit holes, not to mention that criminals might be hiding up there!

I did all sorts of crazy things, such as burning up my wishes for the coming year in the flat's teapot on Samhain,
as I couldn't find any other suitable container (had to buy everyone a new teapot after that little fiasco).
Another time I SHOULD have been up there, because I set fire to the resins on top of the charcoals I'd bought from Frigga,
instead of lighting the charcoals first, THEN putting the resins on. I then had to run out of the flat, flaming saucer in hand...

I would greet the Maori spirits that guarded the Pa (remains of a fortified village) on the top of Otatara hill,
which are represented by three carved posts known as "pou" in the Maori language, and then head on up.
After thinking, or praying, or casting a spell, I'd gather up the remains, and return to the flat around midnight.
Some of the flatmates thought I was going to cast evil spells on them and cause them to become sick.
I didn't, but oh was it tempting...!!! ;)
Thank You from these Members:: cj

More
11 Jul 2014 16:27 #8 by Ladon
Replied by Ladon on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
One of the first things I did when beginning to communicate online about paganism, wicca or witchcraft was to adopt an alias. I've always had a thing for dragons, so I started researching. I stumbled upon Eileen Holland's former website, Open Sesame, and found a few very interesting dragon names and myths, but nothing really "stuck". I e-mailed the webmaster for additional resources and got the answer that "Ladon" popped into her head when she read my e-mail. Looked it up, adopted the name and it has grown on me as much as I have grown into it. When I became member of a tradition and was asked to choose a wiccan name, it was a logical step to choose Ladon.
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson

More
25 May 2015 19:09 #9 by Prometheus Alexander
Replied by Prometheus Alexander on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
Wow Daella.. Now THAT is legit. XD

• Prometheus Alexander
  • New to Forum
  • New to Forum
More
26 May 2015 22:51 #10 by hvgeel
Replied by hvgeel on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
In the course of my life my birth name which is Hennie proved to be also a name of craft. I have been given two Craft Names from different teachers. One of them I'll keep secret; the other is given to me by the Silver Elves and is Toryndaryl.

More
28 May 2015 12:40 #11 by Beibhinn
Replied by Beibhinn on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
My craft name Beibhinn (which means white or fair lady) came to me one day in 2009 while researching Gaelic baby names. I myself am very pale and I wanted something Gaelic so it seemed to fit. I do have a private name which only the Gods know also...

Lux et umbra vicissum sed semper amor.
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Samara

More
06 Sep 2015 13:26 #12 by Samara
Replied by Samara on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
Only 2 people know my magickal name (Samara is my given name!)....but I adopted my magickal name only recently, after a very difficult emotional trial. I have been called a "hothouse orchid" by one of my sisters because I'm so sensitive, then during this trial the other person basically stated that they couldn't be with me *because* of my nature (I have a lot of allergies, for one thing)...so I found a name that means *flower* in another language.

More
06 Oct 2015 14:42 #13 by JaclynGFC
Replied by JaclynGFC on topic How did you get your Craft or Pagan name?
All of your stories were so interesting!

I haven't taken a Craft name yet, nor am I sure that I ever will, though it would be nice to have a different name so that I am not one of three children named after my father. Jaclyn is my given name (which is a feminine and diminutive version of John). The GFC that is on the end of all of my online names comes from an anime called Oh! My Goddess and stands for goddess first class, which was the rank of the main character. So that's the origin of my online name, but no Craft name as of yet.
Thank You from these Members:: Samara

More
Moderators Frigga, : Bane DragonRabblerouzerOtatarazanna

Discover More on Your Path

Two membership choices to bring you more great stuff!

• Enroll in Academy
  • $ 49 On Sale: $ 36.75 / A Year &amp a day
  • All Free Member Bonuses
  • Full Access to ALL Courses in Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Tarot, Herbs & more.
  • 10% Off all Shop orders
  • Exclusive Books & Downloads
  • Reverts to Free Membership after 366 days
  • Enroll Now
  • Free Membership
  • FREE
  • Post Messages on the Forum
  • Unlimited Private Messages
  • Free Downloads & Almanacs
  • Extra Articles & Features
  • Never Expires
  • Join Free