A Different Year and a Day

27 Oct 2017 06:41 #1 by zanna
A Different Year and a Day was created by zanna
I recently wrote about how we are not witches 8 days a year at the sabbats, but we are witches everyday. I have found that many of us (even myself, on this path for over 30 years) still get caught up in the mundane aspects of day to day living and sometimes forget this, only to be reminded as a holiday approaches. This doesn't mean we have to be in ritual mode 24/7/365, but simply remain aware of who we are and how we influence the world around us with everything we do.

Beginning this coming Tuesday, Samhain 2017, I am challenging myself to a new kind of "year and a day". Every single day from Oct 31, 2017 through Oct 31, 2018 I will pick up and open my BOS and my journals. I may not write every day, hopefully I will find inspiration to write more often while doing this. There are so many ideas in my head that I want to put down on paper, but I often don't feel inspired to create a BOS page or have the words to express in my journal. By making this a daily habit, of going through the motions and reminding myself each day who and what I am, I will create a new awareness and create that space to do those things more frequently as well as get more in touch with the progression of the seasons each day.

I invite everyone here to join me if you like. This will not be a guided program, but more of a sharing thread for ideas and inspiration... and if you like, for accountability. There is no grading or pass/fail, only an invitation to participate as much or as little as you choose.

If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zanna
  • zanna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Eclectic Pagan, Hedgewitch
More
01 Nov 2017 17:03 #2 by zanna
Replied by zanna on topic A Different Year and a Day
From Samhain to Yule (Midwinter) I call the dark season. We have harvested all we could and are cozying down to wait for the light. This is a time to rest and enjoy the fruits of our labors all year. In the northern hemisphere the weather is cooling and its time for a nap. Time to dream about what's to come when the light returns.

These 7-1/2 weeks I spend nurturing myself, napping more, taking baths, going for walks. My journal entries focus on my accomplishments of the past year and my dreams for the year to come. This is not the time of "doing" however. That time will come. While it is often a time of holiday parties and gatherings, I try to reserve as much time for myself as possible. This is also a good time to look deep within ourselves and do shadow work.

How will you spend this season?

If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.

• zanna
More
12 Nov 2017 17:36 #3 by Ouroboros
Replied by Ouroboros on topic A Different Year and a Day
A great idea Zanna. Sometimes we have to reinforce our practices by doing one small thing every day to get closer to our goals.
In the spring I promised to my self to draw or practice my art every day, I had to either paint, draw or write something every day. You know, it really worked, I have kept up with my Book of Shadows, it is full of little drawings, photos, color coded correspondences and candle magick. I have been painting, making wands, drying herbs.
All my walking in nature has resulted a better toned body and a healthier outlook in life.
Good luck with your BOS, I bet it is going to look awesome.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, zanna, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

More
12 Nov 2017 19:48 #4 by zanna
Thank you Ouroboros! More than the BOS itself (mine is about 30+ years old, lol), this is about being present with my practice everyday and not just 8 days a year. By picking up my BOS and journal, I have that physical reminder and prompt that causes me to think about how my day might go and what I will do to live my path in that moment :pent: . So far I've enjoyed flipping through and being reminded of old rituals and spells (some I started and didn't finish... and may never finish). The bonus is that by using the BOS as the prompter, I anticipate getting more of what I keep in my head (spells, recipes, etc) onto paper :candle: :spell: :candle:

• zanna
More
13 Nov 2017 17:50 #5 by Ouroboros
I am happy that you are becoming inspired again, I write a lot of personal experiences down in my BOS. Usually comments about the birds and creatures that I see from my kitchen window. I write them under the heading "Magickal Moments" It is fun to revisit them.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Tricksterisme

More
18 Dec 2017 17:28 - 18 Dec 2017 17:29 #6 by zanna
As the dark season winds down ( in the northern hemisphere) and the light is coming, in reflection I believe this was the most (non) productive season I've ever had: many quiet days of doing as little as possible, long baths, going to sleep early, little indulgences. Of course at one point when the universe thought I was getting a little too busy, I got laid up sick for a week (which is very rare for me).

I now look forward to this season ending and the light returning. I look forward to starting to make plans for the new year as the light grows. I also wish all of you a blessed Yule and many blessings as the light returns! :candle: :candle:

Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Otatara, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

• zanna
More
21 Dec 2017 15:22 #7 by Ouroboros
Wishing you a Blessed Yule Zanna, I guess it turned out to be a resting year. I think I'm going to have one of those next year. I might have overdone things, but it has been an awesome year. It is amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More
22 Dec 2017 16:34 #8 by zanna
The Coming of the Light

From Yule to Imbolc is the time of the returning light. We have passed the longest night and light is returning. In the old traditions, animals that have bedded down during the dark months will be giving birth in time for the new growth of grass (this new grass is needed to produce milk for the babies).

This is a time of preparation. The dreams you dreamed during the dark season are ready to be manifested. Did you dream of having a garden this year? Now is the time for preparing the garden bed and choosing seeds, maybe even starting indoor germination. Did you dream of learning a new skill or language? Now is the time to seek out a teacher and the tools you will need to learn.

• zanna
More
03 Jan 2018 17:17 #9 by Ouroboros
Greetings, I hope you enjoyed the Super Moon on Jan 1st and 2nd. I did a working for Health, Prosperity and Happiness for the good of all. I'm still working on my list of intentions for 2018 but I plan to practice my Craft for at least 20 mins. a day. Art and Magick.
Wishing you a Blessed New Year.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, zanna, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

More
06 Jan 2018 10:46 #10 by Bruce A. Grayson
Replied by Bruce A. Grayson on topic A Different Year and a Day
Since Samhain, I've been pondering sacredness. Specifically the sacredness of death.

Now I know that may seem a bit strange, and honestly, there was a time that does not seem so long ago that I would shy away from people discussing death, Kali, dark Goddesses or even shadow work. The reluctance wasn't so much that I was afraid of facing these things, it was more so because many people "face" their shadows by creating elaborate fantasies and constructs in their minds that do more to distract from issues then shed light (or dark as it were) on issues.

Okay, that's maybe another topic but my point is that this autumn and winter I've been watching a lot of death in the garden, among my friends, pets, and livestock, etc. and have come to believe that society as a whole also shies away from the darkness. Yes, probably appropriately most of the time, and certainly something deeply primal for our survival.

But darkness and death are truly sacred. Without death, life would over-run and kill. . . becoming an agent of death. Is every life sacred? Yes. Even the life of a virus? Yes. Is death sacred? Yes. Without death, life is not possible. Without darkness or blackness, a white page has nothing to say.

So I won't be putting any bloody skulls on my altar or celebrating war, but I do carry a little skull bead with me sometimes to remind me of how short my time is here, and how precious each moment is, and how my time will come all too soon to feed the trees.

You are invited to add me as a friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Friggawyrd
Thank You from these Members:: zanna, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

• Bruce A. Grayson
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • PaganPath Instructor
More
06 Jan 2018 16:11 #11 by Ouroboros

Frigga wrote: So I won't be putting any bloody skulls on my altar or celebrating war, but I do carry a little skull bead with me sometimes to remind me of how short my time is here, and how precious each moment is, and how my time will come all too soon to feed the trees.

Yes, there is no light without the dark. I too have a tiny silver skull bead, that I put on a Talisman pin that I made some time ago. At this time of year, I think it would be a good time to wear it.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More
23 Feb 2018 06:11 #12 by zanna
The Fertile Season

From Imbolc to Ostara we are planting seeds and celebrating the coming of the first fruits of spring. The ground is ready to accept the seeds and your life is ready to accept the new path (skill, language, job, relationship) you have chosen to pursue this year. We have light and sunshine to work with. The early flowers, the bulbs that hibernated over the winter, now appear to brighten our outlook for our new endeavors.

Now is the time of "doing". Jump in with both feet and see where the rabbit hole takes you! Speaking of rabbits... and chickens... and flowers, prepare for Ostara with these symbols of fertility and new life. With equal day and night comes balance. Notice the balance in your life.

Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme, KatMarie

• zanna
More
23 Feb 2018 13:22 #13 by Ouroboros
I can hardly wait for Spring to come. We still have five feet of snow on the ground, it is going to be a long time coming.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: zanna, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

More
Moderators Frigga, : Bane DragonRabblerouzerOtatarazanna

Discover More on Your Path

Two membership choices to bring you more great stuff!

• Enroll in Academy
  • $ 49 On Sale: $ 36.75 / A Year &amp a day
  • All Free Member Bonuses
  • Full Access to ALL Courses in Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Tarot, Herbs & more.
  • 10% Off all Shop orders
  • Exclusive Books & Downloads
  • Reverts to Free Membership after 366 days
  • Enroll Now
  • Free Membership
  • FREE
  • Post Messages on the Forum
  • Unlimited Private Messages
  • Free Downloads & Almanacs
  • Extra Articles & Features
  • Never Expires
  • Join Free