The Relevance of Crystals and Precious Stones?

06 Jan 2018 02:40 #1 by Ashrayner
HI Everyone!

I'm new to Pagan Path and to be honest only just realised I probably if anything am Pagan :) Very pleasant to find a belief so close to my own personal ones.

Anyway, I'd like to ask about the relevance of crystals and stones in Wicca for you guys and Paganism? I use them regularily and wondering if there is a index of stones and their best uses/meanings?

In peace I pass you,

AA x
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, zanna, Tricksterisme, KatMarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ashrayner
  • Ashrayner's Avatar Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2018 07:23 #2 by zanna
Welcome Ashrayner!

As for the relevance of stones and crystals, I believe it's more on a personal level, many folks use them, some do not. Like herbs or astrology or runes, they have correspondences but many use the tools they are most comfortable with.

I do a lot of work with crystals and stones for spellwork, healing, divination, and I also just love having them around and on my person for various reasons. My favorite go-to books for reference are:
Love Is In The Earth by Melody
Crystal Gem and Metal Magic by Scott Cunningham
and
The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall has good pictures for identifying stones.

If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Tricksterisme, Ashrayner, KatMarie

• zanna
  • Eclectic Pagan, Hedgewitch
More
06 Jan 2018 10:30 #3 by Bruce A. Grayson
Replied by Bruce A. Grayson on topic The Relevance of Crystals and Precious Stones?
Merry Meet Ashrayner! Before I embraced Paganism, I studied herbs for years, and then around 1986 or 87 I really delved into crystals and stones. I think that it was tapping into the energy of stones and working with stones and chakras that helped me to understand earth energy better. This led me to really open up to earth-based spiritual traditions (I came from a strong Christian background and had a lot of resistance built up). Now I'm not saying that stones are a gateway to Paganism :) just that their significance to me is that they helped me to understand myself and how I fit into the world around me.

Around 1989 I moved to New York and on Samhain, I was struck with Bell's Palsy. At the time the doctors were stumped, and after talking to naturopath friend of mine, I asked my docs if it could be Bell's Palsy. They had only a vague recollection of coming across the stroke-like paralysis in journals, and after a few more visits they did give me that diagnosis. There is still no exact known cause for the paralasis.

At the time there was no therapy for it other than steroid shots, which I declined. I called my friend back in Nebraska who was a stone healer and she directed me to use my visualization techniques along with laying out stones over my paralyzed face areas (peridot, citrine, a few others). Recovery from Bell's Palsy is usually pretty good, but by going to a Chiropractor, working with stones and visualization, and boosting my nutritional intake (while wearing a stylish eye patch) I was able to have 98% nerve recovery within 3 days, and 100% within 10 days. A very speedy recovery and interesting learning experience.

Since then I've come a long way with stones and use them for everything from wards to soothing sick animals. I even have some that work as a sort of motion detector in remote areas of my property (hard to explain briefly). Some stones take a "charge" well and can be "programmed" for specific energy: For example, if you are looking for a job, an aventurine may help by offering its tendency to attract opportunities. You charge it to help specifically with job opportunities to bring it more focus.

I've written a short online course about crystals and stones you might like. It is free here:
paganpath.com/study/...y/crystals
Lesson One: What is Quartz Crystal? has a brief list of stones and their uses

There is also the more extensive list in the "Stones for Magic and Spells" article here:
paganpath.com/study/...ne-pouches

And a write up on Amber and Jet here:
paganpath.com/study/...-amber-jet

oh and Welcome to PaganPath!
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme, Ashrayner, Meroe, cbdesigns

• Bruce A. Grayson
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Interim Administrator
More
06 Jan 2018 16:23 - 07 Jan 2018 14:16 #4 by Ouroboros
Replied by Ouroboros on topic The Relevance of Crystals and Precious Stones?
The Crystal Bible is a really interesting reference book.
I use a lot of crystals in my practice. Tumbled ones in pouches for healing. Favorite crystals on my Altar are Clear Quartz, Amethyst and Selenite.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Tricksterisme, Ashrayner

More
07 Jan 2018 14:14 #5 by Bruce A. Grayson
Replied by Bruce A. Grayson on topic The Relevance of Crystals and Precious Stones?
Great book suggestions zanna & Ouroboros! Love is in The Earth by Melody is new to me, but I have all the others and would also recommend them, now I have to find that missing title. :)
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme, Ashrayner

• Bruce A. Grayson
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Interim Administrator
More
08 Jan 2018 23:55 #6 by Ashrayner
Replied by Ashrayner on topic The Relevance of Crystals and Precious Stones?
Thank you all so much for your generous input! It is so good to know I'm not alone!

I feel like without my crystals holding a space for me, I'm just not as strong as I could be. I have had a rough upbringing and perhaps it's just my nature but I struggle sometimes to keep my boundaries up, health boundaries of course. I can really feel others energy penetrate when I don't have them around.

Thank you again and I will definitely be looking into some of those books.

With Love,
AA x
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme

• Ashrayner
  • Ashrayner's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Jan 2018 17:17 #7 by Ouroboros
Here are some crystals that will help you to stay safe and undisturbed.
Amethyst helps define boundaries
Prehnite enables a sensitive soul to be sympathetic not emphatic and it helps avoid absorbing negativity.
Labradorite helps you find order out of chaos.
Obsidian cleanses and clears negativity.
Onyx (The name of my Black Cat) Absorbs negative energy.
Black Tourmaline shields you from energy around you and provides a safe haven.
Smokey Quartz , Cloak of invisibility. allows you to go undisturbed.
I hope this helps, you can also throw up a "Cloak of Invisibility" by picturing a shield of mirrors, facing outwards , surrounding you.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Tricksterisme, Meroe

More
06 Mar 2018 13:15 #8 by Meroe
I will be reading these articles!
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Tricksterisme

More
06 Mar 2018 13:16 #9 by Meroe
Thank you for the crystal info. Writing it down.
Thank You from these Members:: Bruce A. Grayson, Tricksterisme

More
12 Mar 2018 12:21 #10 by Ouroboros
I just made myself a medicine bag. I am having a heart procedure done soon so I have included crystals that will benefit the heart, circulation etc. Rose Quartz, White Pearl, Red Jasper, Carnelian, Jade and a little flying Heart charm.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More
13 Apr 2018 19:23 #11 by KatMarie
Replied by KatMarie on topic The Relevance of Crystals and Precious Stones?

Ouroboros wrote: I just made myself a medicine bag. I am having a heart procedure done soon so I have included crystals that will benefit the heart, circulation etc. Rose Quartz, White Pearl, Red Jasper, Carnelian, Jade and a little flying Heart charm.

How did it go, if I may ask? Best to you!

A Sincerely Learning Libra, Blessed Be!

• KatMarie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Greetings! I am a Libra, an artist, a writer, a mother to two fur-children, a model, with a yearning for knowledge and guidance on my Pagan Path. -Kat Marie
More
24 Apr 2018 17:02 #12 by Ouroboros
Thanks, I'm on the mend, but not as quickly as I had hoped. I had to be shocked back into rhythm, not an experience that I wanted to try. I do think that my prayers to Apollo were answered and everything turned out for the best. It never hurts to cover all the bases.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: KatMarie

More
24 Apr 2018 17:30 #13 by KatMarie
Replied by KatMarie on topic The Relevance of Crystals and Precious Stones?
I am so glad to hear, I myself have a heart condition so good news is great news on that level!

A Sincerely Learning Libra, Blessed Be!

• KatMarie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Greetings! I am a Libra, an artist, a writer, a mother to two fur-children, a model, with a yearning for knowledge and guidance on my Pagan Path. -Kat Marie
More
Moderators Frigga, : Bane DragonRabblerouzerOtatarazanna

Discover More on Your Path

Two membership choices to bring you more great stuff!

• Enroll in Academy
  • $ 49 On Sale: $ 36.75 / A Year &amp a day
  • All Free Member Bonuses
  • Full Access to ALL Courses in Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Tarot, Herbs & more.
  • 10% Off all Shop orders
  • Exclusive Books & Downloads
  • Reverts to Free Membership after 366 days
  • Enroll Now
  • Free Membership
  • FREE
  • Post Messages on the Forum
  • Unlimited Private Messages
  • Free Downloads & Almanacs
  • Extra Articles & Features
  • Never Expires
  • Join Free