practical garden shed temple question

13 Nov 2015 03:46 - 13 Nov 2015 04:11 #1 by Ladon
MM all,

I have a small (about 17 square meter, which would make about 186 square feet?) wooden cabin/shed that I would like to start using as a peronal temple space. Something like the attachment.

Not insulated yet, but I would like to insulate the roof from the inside and the walls on the outside in the future. I would like to store my pagan related books and coursed there as well, along with things like incense powders and coal tablets, and decorated altars. With the cold, everyting gets damp inside, so I would like to heat it at least above freezing point the coming winter, preferably warmer so I can stay comfortable inside in my ritual robe instead of a ski outfit.
Heating electrically is a hassle because I don't have fixed electric wiring inside, and constantly using an extension cord is a last resort.
It doesn't feel safe using a petrol or gas heater because it's a small space, and especially when I insulate in the future, considering carbon monoxide poisoning.
I don't have a chimney, so a wood stove is also out of the question.
Any ideas on how to heat the cabin safely to an exceptable temperature? Doesn't have to be 20°C, but not 5°C either, you get the picture. I've been looking into candle heaters, but that seems a bit too good to be true. Most examples use tea lights, I'm thinking of using larger candles that burn up to 9 days so I have constant heating without having to replace the candles every 4 hours.

Any experiences with alternative heating methods?
Attachments:
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ladon
  • Ladon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Member
  • Expert Member
More
14 Nov 2015 07:35 #2 by BloodThorn
Replied by BloodThorn on topic practical garden shed temple question
You might want to look into a "rocket stove" - Very easy to home make and very warm also. You need a chimney outlet but that should be pretty straight forward, just drill a hole and seal it in.
Although a wood burning stove inside a wooden temple might be a tad tricky :ohmy: :candle: although people have made it work in the past..

More
15 Nov 2015 00:19 #3 by Phyre
Replied by Phyre on topic practical garden shed temple question
I would look into installing a wood stove. It would be the most pleasant and natural form of heat AND a great source for any fire/brewing needs in your work... I see you state you dont have a chimney but I dont think it will be much effort to cut and insulate the hole at the same time you do your roof if you have the stove picked out ahead of time!! I have heard things both ways on the pottery candle heaters and more on the negative side so I have never tried making one... I am envious of your space :-) it looks like it will be a great sanctuary! Keep us posted!! ... (just had another thought... My grandpas fishing shack had some kind of heater in it that was more then warm and no extension cord on the lake... Maybe look in that direction!! What ice shacks use!!)

--enjoying the journey--

More
22 Nov 2015 05:11 #4 by Otatara
Replied by Otatara on topic practical garden shed temple question
I am thinking of a wood stove as well, given that you will be banging around in the roof when you do the insulation, and a chimney could be installed then.
If it is a small stove, the flue could also be taken out through a wall - sort of like a gypsy caravan ;)

It would also suit the requirements more - somehow to me, having electricity in a pagan temple does not feel right; however, cultures, including pagan ones, grow and change as technology advance - so I am wondering if calling in an electrician, and having a line extended out from the house, to power lighting and heaters (maybe oil heaters?) would be cheaper, once the installation and labour costs are added to the wood stove itself - along with the tiling and fireproof work required.

I quite agree with you that gas heating can be dangerous in such a small space, but again, they can have a flue attached to remove any carbon monoxide, and the current local building regulations where I live, insist that this is done in new buildings. It may be the same where you are. That led me to the electrical line, because I was thinking that you would need to run a gas line out to your temple if you were going that route, and it may be less expensive to do an electrical one.

Winters in my home area are about 10C at mid-day, down to zero overnight, and it is often only 12C inside the house when I get home at midnight. My wood stove heats the house quickly and comfortably. The other thing I am musing on is the lower temperatures of your land, balanced with the much smaller space you need to heat, and what would be the best way to do this, as well as the aesthetic concerns - a temple is to be designed to honour your deities, and decorated as you see fit - and 21st century electrical fittings may not fit that image.

Heck, I am rattling on... But I felt this needed a lot of thought. If it is within 20m or so of your house (I have no idea if you live in town or out in the country), probably getting an electrician in and some quotes to wire up the temple and connect it to your house supply, would be the best available option.

More
27 Nov 2015 16:35 #5 by Daella
Replied by Daella on topic practical garden shed temple question
Ladon, can I ask where you are? It may help to know what you have available and the type of climate ranges you are dealing with?

Insulate. Backer-rod is nice for stuffing in those draft cracks where the walls meet foundation. Simple plastic on the windows and layered curtains are surprisingly effective jobs.

I know that there are more things nicer to mother earth, but I use Dyna-Glo in my witchen, the workshop, and the other external building work areas.

Why? Because I'm old. (Okay, well "older".) I can't go and cut wood anymore. And because it gets darn cold here in the winter. It was cheaper, at the time, than a woodstove and to build and line the chimney's. I'm not spending the whole of days in the spaces and so when I cut the heat off, in a couple of minutes, the fire is gone and safe. Less than one gallon of clear kerosene will last the day and into the evening. Because I'm only in the space a couple of hours at a time, I only have to refill it a couple of times a week.

I would recommend, if you consider it, the flatback instead of the round. It is safe to put closer to the wall and is a more gentle heat than those dragon-breath round jobs that will easily make double garages saunas.

(General Disclaimer for everyone else... I'd love to install woodstoves in these areas. It's on our list, just as soon as we find ways to address the safety issues and eccentricities around it for me to safely use them.)

Love and Light
Attachments:

More

2020 Practical Witch Almanac smallThe PaganPath Almanac is now The Practical Witch's Almanac.  Now in print as a weekly planner, correspondence reference, and every edition comes with free downloads of wall calendars and calendar app imports.  Order directly from the publisher (2019 edition) or (2020 edition) or grab your own signed copy from the PaganPath Shop or PracticalWitch.com

Discover More on Your Path

Two membership choices to bring you more great stuff!

• Enroll in Academy
  • February Special: Membership includes this year's edition of the Practical Witch's Almanac and free gifts!
  • $49 / A Year & a day
  • All Free Member Bonuses plus 10% off Shop orders
  • Full Access to ALL Courses in Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Tarot, Herbs & more.
  • Exclusive Books & Downloads
  • Reverts to Free Membership after 366 days
  • Enroll Now
  • Free Membership
  • FREE
  • Post Messages on the Forum
  • Unlimited Private Messages
  • Free Downloads & Almanacs
  • Extra Articles & Features
  • Never Expires
  • Join Free