Favorite Tarot Cards

22 Feb 2018 07:09 - 22 Feb 2018 07:17 #1 by Friday
Favorite Tarot Cards was created by Friday
In 1986 I rushed down to the local bookstore with my freshly cashed paycheck to buy my first deck of tarot cards. Prior to this time, the only tarot I had seen was my mother's old Rider-Waite deck she bought during a flight of curiosity in the 70s that also ended in us owning nearly everything written about Edgar Cayce at the time.

So I bought the Ukiyoe Tarot. This Japanese Style tarot deck attracted my attention because the images did not seem as frightening, and I am very drawn to Japanese art.

But I could never get them to work for me. As a beginner, the symbols were not clear and I was unable to get much from them other than aesthetic pleasure.

Next paycheck, back to the bookstore at the University, they have a new deck in stock and it seems a little "fluffy" but I fell in love. Home again with the Hanson-Roberts tarot. This deck has the traditional symbolism of the Rider-Waite, but with colored-pencil drawings, rich colors and expressive characters. This was the deck that helped me to spend enough time with the cards to actually "get it". Their slightly smaller size made them easy to work with and carry around.

This grew into a large tarot collection, most of which I sold along with most of my possessions in order to buy the PaganPath Sanctuary land. But I have still held on to about a dozen decks.

Which decks do you own? Which work for readings for you?

Strangely, this deck went through a lot. My mother confiscated it while I was home from college one summer, along with my other "Occult" books. She told me she burned them, then returned everything to me a year later when she had a change of heart for unknown reasons.

I was hired with the "Witches of Salem" psychic line around about seven years after that first tarot deck purchase and discovered that I had to buy a new tarot deck every couple of months due to the wear-and-tear of so many readings every day.

Through trial and error, I learned how to break in new decks by laying all the new cards out in order, then placing the matching card from the old deck atop its twin from the new deck. Cleansing and clearing decks became quick and easy after just a few weeks.

Do you have a routine or ritual to break in a new deck?

You are invited to add me as a friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com/fridaywyrd
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme, KatMarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Friday
  • Friday's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • PaganPath Instructor
More
22 Feb 2018 11:01 #2 by Sporehead
Replied by Sporehead on topic Favorite Tarot Cards
I’ve found that I connect more with “non-traditional” tarots, so the first deck I bought was the Wild Unknown tarot. It was used (because I’m cheap), and I still haven’t gotten around to cleansing it, so my readings with it can be a little … weird, but it’s still one of my favorite decks. My other decks so far are the Healing Light tarot and the Next World tarot (a purposefully queer-positive and feminist deck — it’s beautiful and I love the emphasis on transformation, but the cards are larger than standard which can make shuffling difficult).
Thank You from these Members:: Tricksterisme

• Sporehead
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • I’m an Eclectic/Kemetic Pagan (basically, I borrow from a lot of traditions, but mostly Ancient Egypt). I'm proudly bisexual. I also enjoy Dungeons & Dragons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Who, penguins, and playing my ukulele.
More
22 Feb 2018 12:55 #3 by Ouroboros
Replied by Ouroboros on topic Favorite Tarot Cards
l use my Thoth Deck by Crowley, I find it to be really accurate. I have had this deck for at least 40 years. I just bought a Rune oracle deck. I quite like it. I am trying to learn the Runes so I thought that this would be a good stepping stone before I actually make myself a set of Runes.
I just found out that I am half Scandinavian so I need to learn more about the Norse Pantheon. Watching the TV show "The Vikings" has been really interesting.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More
23 Feb 2018 06:15 #4 by zanna
Replied by zanna on topic Favorite Tarot Cards
My favorite deck, and most used, is the Druidcraft Tarot. Like Friday, I've had many decks come and go over the years, but this one stays with me.

If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.

• zanna
  • Expert Member
  • Expert Member
  • Eclectic Pagan, Hedgewitch
More
04 Mar 2018 20:17 #5 by eatbliss
Replied by eatbliss on topic Favorite Tarot Cards
It is funny, because being new here, I first thought you meant which cards out of the deck are your favorites, and it set me to ponder the thought, before I clicked to find out that you meant which decks are your favorites. I was going to say The Magician, sometimes Death (if the transformation is needed, of course), and The Fool (which is what I was, before clicking, and am being somewhat now, by telling you a few of my favorite cards...hehehe). At least, for the Major Arcana, and lest they get jealous and stop working together, I'd really have to say all of them are my favorites at different times, and situations. But, I digress...

After working with quite a few decks (mostly all traditional, I haven't played around much with the non traditional decks, save The Motherpeace deck) my long time go to deck is The Thoth Deck. The sheer amount of symbolism and beauty this deck holds is incredible, and agree with him or not, attests to Crowleys knowledge and wisdom regarding both divination and the divine arts. However, it does require much study, and is not real effective for a person that is just dabbling, nor having some knowledge of sacred symbols, geometry, and at least a bit of background in Magick, and the rest of Crowleys philosophy. IMHO, anyway. There are many layers and much to learn through this deck, and I cherish mine (actually, this is my fourth deck I have went through in my last thirty years of reading, having lost one, gave one away, and tattered my last one to the point of being able to read the cards, or at least know what they are, before turning them over. Hehe). I also have enjoyed The Voyager deck, and like most, cut my teeth on The Rider-Waite deck, which still remains as a back up in my dresser drawer.

I should mention, I am new to this forum, and was very pleased to have stumbled upon it while looking for some ideas for cleansing and recharging my home. It looks like I will be visiting often now, as it seems to be a good source of practical information, and the folks here seem to be knowledgeable, and the administrator, sincere in their intentions. ? Merry meet, Ms. Friday and thank you for your time and devotion in creating and providing such a cool space to discuss ideas and share our collective experience with like minded souls. It is much appreciated and I am glad to make your acquaintance. : ) So Mote it be!

More
06 Mar 2018 19:46 #6 by Ouroboros
My Favorite card, is "The Wheel of Fortune" I'm always excited when I get this card, a change is going to happen. I actually have collected a lot of different Wheel cards on my Pinterest account. I use my Wheel card from my deck when I'm doing a luck spell.
The High Priestess is another favorite card of mine.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros
Thank You from these Members:: Friday, Tricksterisme

More
22 Mar 2018 19:23 #7 by Sporehead
As far as favorite individual cards go, my top 3 in no particular order are:

1. The Tower. I know a lot of people are a bit intimidated by this card, but I am not. Huge changes & upheaval can be good for us, after all!
2. The Magician. Self empowerment ftw!
3. The Sun. I love the symbolism of healing.

• Sporehead
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • I’m an Eclectic/Kemetic Pagan (basically, I borrow from a lot of traditions, but mostly Ancient Egypt). I'm proudly bisexual. I also enjoy Dungeons & Dragons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Who, penguins, and playing my ukulele.
More
05 Apr 2018 01:04 #8 by KatMarie
Replied by KatMarie on topic Favorite Tarot Cards
Well to be honest, I haven't gotten one. Yet. I haven't made up my mind, I've heard so many things and so many uses that I don't know what kind of deck to start with. There are so many! Can I choose by what kind of artwork touches me? If not, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

A Sincerely Learning Libra, Blessed Be!

• KatMarie
  • Away
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Greetings! I am a Libra, an artist, a writer, a mother to two fur-children, a model, with a yearning for knowledge and guidance on my Pagan Path. -Kat Marie
More
05 Apr 2018 22:57 #9 by Sporehead

KatMarie wrote: Well to be honest, I haven't gotten one. Yet. I haven't made up my mind, I've heard so many things and so many uses that I don't know what kind of deck to start with. There are so many! Can I choose by what kind of artwork touches me? If not, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

You could. I chose the Wild Unknown deck because I liked the art. Ultimately it’s up to you.

Paganpath does have a tarot reading course with suggestions of decks to buy. I forget if you can look at the first few lessons without being a paying member, though.
Thank You from these Members:: KatMarie

• Sporehead
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
More
06 Apr 2018 03:00 #10 by KatMarie
Thank you for your help! I am looking forward to finding my deck!

• KatMarie
  • Away
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Greetings! I am a Libra, an artist, a writer, a mother to two fur-children, a model, with a yearning for knowledge and guidance on my Pagan Path. -Kat Marie
More
27 Apr 2018 19:59 #11 by Ouroboros
I would say that most people learn the Rider/Waite cards and interpretations first. A lot of other decks follow the same meanings pretty much the same. I like the Thoth deck, I have had it for 40 odd years and still finding out new meanings in the cards.
A lot of the decks, even with nice art work ,are quite superficial. Some decks are oracle cards and are quite different to Tarot cards. Sometimes one card is all you need for the moment.

love and Laughter
Ouroboros

More
29 Apr 2018 16:06 - 29 Apr 2018 16:07 #12 by KatMarie

Ouroboros wrote: I would say that most people learn the Rider/Waite cards and interpretations first. A lot of other decks follow the same meanings pretty much the same. I like the Thoth deck, I have had it for 40 odd years and still finding out new meanings in the cards.
A lot of the decks, even with nice art work ,are quite superficial. Some decks are oracle cards and are quite different to Tarot cards. Sometimes one card is all you need for the moment.

Oh thank you - I didn't realize decks had different uses. What is the difference in Rider/Waite decks and some others? And what is an Oracle deck, what is it used for?

• KatMarie
  • Away
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
More
30 Apr 2018 09:15 #13 by Sporehead
If I remember correctly…

Rider/Waite or Rider/Waite/Smith: “standard” tarot. Most decks are these or variations on them.

Thoth: incorporates astrology, Kabbalah, and many other things into its art & meanings.

Oracle: any deck of cards used for divining that’s NOT a tarot deck. There are dozens of these. Most popular include the Lenormand oracle and the Goddess oracle.
Thank You from these Members:: Ouroboros, KatMarie

• Sporehead
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
More

Discover More on Your Path

Two membership choices to bring you more great stuff!

• Enroll in Academy
  • $ 49 On Sale: $ 36.75 / A Year &amp a day
  • All Free Member Bonuses
  • Full Access to ALL Courses in Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Tarot, Herbs & more.
  • 10% Off all Shop orders
  • Exclusive Books & Downloads
  • Reverts to Free Membership after 366 days
  • Enroll Now
  • Free Membership
  • FREE
  • Post Messages on the Forum
  • Unlimited Private Messages
  • Free Downloads & Almanacs
  • Extra Articles & Features
  • Never Expires
  • Join Free